Tight Basketball Games last Tuesday

The women’s Varsity Basketball played Reidsville High School on January 2 at home.

The first half was very , the score bouncing back and forth between the Jags and the Rams. Deja Tucker, senior point guard, contributed offensively and Gabby Adams, senior guard, made a buzzer beater three at the half. Jags wrapped up the half down by five points, 20 to 25.  

“I cannot believe I made that,” said Adams after the game.

The Jags came back at the half ready to fight. Maria Negro- Sacristan, junior small forward, tied up the game 25 to 25 with five minutes left in the third half. Riley Croasmun, freshman small forward, brought the Jags to a lead with a two-pointer. The Rams came back with the lead with a minute left in the third quarter. Tucker brought the score back to a tie, ending the quarter 30 to 30. At the beginning of fourth quarter, Cameron Farrar, senior small forward, hit a powerful three to bring the Jags back to their lead.

The last minute was filled with constant timeouts and foul shots, with both teams trying to get the lead. The Jags fought hard, falling short two points ending the score at 43 to 41.

Following the women’s game, Varsity boys took the the floor. The first shot of the game was a three pointer made by Neel Mahadevan, senior guard. Shamel Partridge, junior forward, pushed out hard rebounds the entire first quarter. The quarter wrapped up with the Jags down by one point.

The Jags returned from the quarter break fired up, getting them a lead in the second half. Chris Thompson, junior forward, contributed with an and-one and a strong block on defense. Partridge and Nick Jones, senior guard, made three pointers.

The second half started with the Jaguars leading 43 to 25. Jones and Will Riggs, junior point guard, dominated the three-point line. A two pointer from DeAndre Burnette, junior forward, with a minute to go in the third quarter brought the Jags to a 21 point lead. The third quarter ended with great defense from both sides with a score of 48-64.

Fourth quarter began with the first points from Thompson with a step and slide to the basket followed by an and-one. The Rams closed the gap to one point with two minutes and 40 seconds left. The score bounced back and forth with a one point lead with 40 seconds to go. Zachary Anderson, senior forward, attempted a lay-up and received a foul, leading the Jags to a two point lead and a tight 40 second game. With one second left, Jones received a foul and made the final foul shot, leading to the 78 to 76 win for the Jags.

Photo by Niya Fearrington